Kyle & Joyce Grindley
Kyle – Coordinator
I grew up in Burbank, a suburb of LA. I moved to San Diego in 2002 to study engineering. I originally came to LBC in 2005, looking to find a church that would hold me accountable in my walk and provide the examples of solid godly men for me to follow. I have enjoyed the solid teaching and fellowship with other people who love Jesus at LBC since then as well as finding my Wife, Joyce and now raising our daughter Eleanor. I have been working as an oceanographic engineer at Scripps Institution of Oceanography since graduating in 2006. I have been serving in Sparklers since 2007. I enjoy the opportunity to share the gospel with the kids and to think through the Bible is a basic way each week. It has been fun to watch the kids as they understand more about the Bible. I chose to serve in Sparklers because I had experience with Children ministry and at the time Sparklers needed more men. I wanted to make sure the Sparklers saw that the Bible isn’t just for girls.
- Favorite Christian Book: Unity of the Bible, followed by The Holiness of God
- Favorite Verse: 1 John 1:9
- Hobbies: Sailing, loafing, spending time with my family
While not knowing what a God-glorifying church looks like and how to look for one, God graciously brought me to Lighthouse Bible Church using two dear friends of mine in fall of 2002. And it was at this church that I came to know Christ as my Savior and Lord by God’s grace.
Since coming to know Christ, it has been quite a journey living my life according to God’s way. How awesome it has been to put my trust and hope in God alone is ineffable. As Psalm 34:8 states, I want others to experience this and genuinely worship God (“O taste and see that the LORD is good; how blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!”). After getting married to my husband, Kyle Grindley, I decided to step down from serving in Single Life staff and support Kyle in Sparklers ministry. Serving in Sparklers definitely has been a very different experience from serving in Single Life. It tested whether I understood God’s Word clearly because I need to share It with the Sparklers in simpler terms. I’m thankful for the privilege to be part of children’s lives and share God’s Word with them so that they also come to know God.
- Favorite Christian Book:Humility by CJ. Mahaney
- Favorite Verse: Philippians 1:6
- Hobbies: Spending time with Kyle; spending time with people; watching movies
I moved to San Diego in 2002 to attend UCSD, then shortly afterwards I started attending Lighthouse Bible Church in 2004 after a recommendation of a friend. I wanted to join Sparklers because I wanted to get to know the children better and to teach them the bible.
- Favorite book: Mere Christianity by C.S Lewis
- Favorite verse: Acts 20:24
I started coming out to Lighthouse late 2011. At the time I was serving active duty in the U.S. Navy as an officer. After I got transferred to the Naval Reserve in 2013, I worked for National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration for the spring and summer of 2014 before starting graduate school for my masters in Civil Engineering and specializing in Geo-technical (foundations of buildings/the ground beneath). I started serving in Sparklers in 2014, and I wanted to invest in the young people in this church. I understand they may not get saved while I teach them, but I want to start building the foundation they will need to lead them on the road to salvation. I grew up in the church, and while I acknowledge it was the Holy Spirit and Christ work on the Cross that saved me, God used several faithful and dedicated teachers working alongside my parents to lead me to salvation.
- Hobbies: computer/video games, spending time with the Singles group hiking/eating/Disneyland/teaching people at the range/watching movies etc, playing with babies and Sparklers
- Favorite passage: John 1:1
- Favorite Christian Book: Finally Free by Heath Lambert
Katherine has been serving in Sparklers since 2014.
Jin and Grace Lee
I’ve been attending LBC since 2000. I grew up in Irvine and graduated from UCSD in 1996 with a BS in Biology. I have been working for a high tech company in sales for the past 15 years. I am married to my beautiful wife Grace and have 2 awesome kids, Christian (5) and Evan (3 1/2). I really appreciate the teaching of God’s Word here at LBC. I joined Sparklers staff in 2013.
- Hobbies: Spending time with family, traveling, football
- Favorite passage: Colossians 3 (whole chapter)
- Favorite Christian book: Money, Possessions, and Eternity by Randy Alcorn
I’ve been attending LBC for as long as I’ve been married to Jin – 10 1/2 years. I grew up in Fullerton and graduated from UCLA with a BA in English. I taught 1st grade for 6 years before I transitioned into my best roles yet as Jin’s wife and Christian and Evan’s mom. I’m thankful for the unswerving focus of teaching and living out God’s Word here at LBC. I joined Sparklers staff in 2013.
- Hobbies: Spending time with family, traveling, making photo albums, reading
- Favorite passage: Philippians 4:6-7
- Favorite Christian Book: Too many, but currently loving Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman and Give Them Grace by Elyse Fitzpatrick
My name is Hanka Rodgers and I grew up and lived most of my life in the Czech Republic. I moved to San Diego in the summer of 2011 after I married my husband Stephen. Right now I am working as a third grade teacher at a Christian school. I have known LBC since 2001 when I attended an English Camp LBC organized together with a church in the Czech Republic. After the camp, I started coming out to my Czech church, got saved after a few months of going there, and eventually started helping with English Camps. It’s been amazing to watch how God has been working in my life and constantly showing me that He is in control and knows what He is doing. When I first joined LBC, I started serving in LKC and after a year transitioned to Sparklers. I’ve been really enjoying serving in children’s ministry not only because I enjoy being with kids and helping them learn about God, but also because I appreciate how intentional LBC children’s ministry is and how serious their leaders are about teaching children about God.
- Hobbies: ministry, God’s creation, reading, piano
- Favorite passage: many; used to be Isaiah 55:8-9 until I started studying it and found out it means something else than what I thought it meant (good LBC influence)
- Favorite Christian Book: Usually the book I am reading at that time; I also really like books about the Bible (mostly historical background) and children’s Bibles
I grew up in LA County. I came to LBC in 2010 for college at UCSD. I am currently a Nursing student at University of San Diego. I choose to serve in Sparklers because I love to work with children and I wanted to be able to come along side the parents in their process of passing on the glory of God to the next generation.
- Hobbies: Surfing, swimming, volleyball, hanging out with friends
- Favorite passage: 1 Peter 3:15b
Arthur and France Wang
I’ve been attending LBC since 2006. I grew up here in San Diego and graduated from UCLA with a BS in Mathematics Computer Science. France and I have been married for 8 years and counting. We are blessed with 2 wonderful children, Faith and Alex. Being the dad to two young kids who have benefited a lot from the LBC children ministries, I wanted to contribute as well. I have gained lots of experience interacting with my own two children that can equip me with children of that age range. I enjoy teaching and this is an opportunity to serve with my wife in the same ministry. I joined Sparklers staff in June 2015.
- Hobbies: Spending time with family, traveling, eating, finding good deals
- Favorite passage: Colossians 3:12-14 (our wedding verse)
- Favorite Christian book: The Bible, Found: God’s Will by John MacArthur
I’ve been attending LBC since I was engaged to Arthur in 2006. I moved down to San Diego from Monrovia. I grew up in the Philippines and graduated from UCLA with a BA in Psychology and SDSU with a Masters in Social Work. I worked in the child adoptions program for San Diego County before I transitioned into my role as a full time mom. I wanted to join Sparklers because I think it would be beneficial for us to be more involved in the ministry our children are attending. We also know that we are not perfect and look forward to learning from the other staff different ways of communicating the gospel to children in this age group. I joined Sparklers staff in June 2015.
- Hobbies: Crafts, playing volleyball, reading and recently, gardening
- Favorite passage: 1 Peter 4:10-11
- Favorite Christian Book: Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur
Hi! My name is Lily and I started coming to Lighthouse in 2009 during my freshman year in college (UCSD). I graduated from my undergraduate studies in 2013 and I’m currently a pharmacy student at UCSD. I never imagined myself staying in San Diego after graduating, but God was patiently working in my heart and growing me spiritually through Lighthouse these past 4 years. LBC became one of the main reasons why I chose to continue schooling in San Diego. I love LBC because of Pastor Patrick’s biblical teaching and I see the members actively living out the gospel, whether it’s through meet-ups or eagerly serving the church family. I joined Sparklers staff in 2013, because it’s important to teach God’s word to the kids, even at their young age. We should not assume that they will know God without teaching and showing them the greatness of our God. Also, they never fail to put a smile on my face
- Hobbies: experimenting with baking, grocery shopping, traveling, doing DIY crafts
- Favorite Verse: Psalms 84:11
- Favorite Christian Book: Living the Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney